If you’re a backpacker, it’s a bit difficult to find budget Filipino meals in Manila. Most people who eat out in this city head to Remedios Circle where there are many different options:
- Shawarma Snack Center. 45 Salas St. Malate. Delicious shawarmas (50p/75p) and chicken curry with Arabic rice for 2 people (225p). This is the spot to go for authentic Arabic food.
- Aristocrat Restaurant. Near the waterfront. Delicious bbq chicken fillet with rice and small salad (195p, plus 12%tax and 10%tip), bbq pork ribs with rice and small salad (159p, plus tax and tip). A bit pricey, but very good.
- Cafe Andriatico. A cool, popular restaurant serving all kinds of food. Try the macaroni baked with cheese for (155p, plus tip). Food is really good and the place has been there for 25 years.
- Street vendors selling bananas wrapped in crepes, then deep fried and coated in sugar. They are everywhere. Same with egg sandwiches and instant noodle stands. That’s your best bet for a budget meal!
- For a beer or two, head to Rendezvous or the bar right beside it. Buckets of 6 San Miguel Beer costs 200p.