Figuring out what needs to be done before heading off on a trip can be a daunting task. Apart from deciding where to go, what type of backpack you should buy, what you should pack and how much money you will need, there are so many things that will need to be researched and looked into. Check out this list for some tips:
UPDATE – Check out our latest post from 2016: Preparing For a World Trip, the Traveller’s Checklist
- Take a look at the current political situation for each country. Government websites are usually over-the-top about security and slightly paranoid, but still, you need to be aware of what’s going on.
- Find out if the required visas for each country are obtainable on arrival, or if you need to get one in advance in your home country. You can order your visa directly from the bottom or the right of this page through VisaHQ, the most trusted online travel visa provider.
- Research which vaccinations are required and/or are recommended. Some vaccinations need to be administered well in advance to departure.
- Look into different Travel Insurance Companies to find one that works for you. We use WorldNomads, they are a great deal and have good coverage. You can apply directly from Goats On The Road at NO EXTRA CHARGE to you. Apply to the right of this page, or at the bottom.
- Check the weather patterns for the countries you want to travel to. You don’t want to be in the Middle East in the summer or Nepal in the winter!
- Figure out if you can enter your chosen countries by land, or if you’ll need to fly? Booking your first flight or two ahead of time could end up saving you a lot of money.
- Find out how much money you will need per day/per month/per year. Include costs like visas, flights, accommodation, food, transportation, entertainment and anything extra (diving, safaris, seeing any expensive sights, etc.). Check out Our Travel Style to get information and details about our budget for the countries we’ve been to.
- Go into your bank and talk to them about a ‘travel bank account/overseas account’. ATM withdrawal fees from the local machine can cost a fortune while away. So, on top of that, you will want to avoid having your bank charge you per withdrawal as well. In Canada, we have an account with TD Canada Trust. No withdrawal fees – if $5000 is kept in the account at all times, otherwise, there is a $30/month fee.
- Check to see if you will need an International Driver’s Permit. Some countries require you to have one when renting a vehicle, some do not.
- You will need to Choose a Backpack to suit your needs.
- You will then need to make a list of what to pack. You can get some tips at our Backpack Essentials page!
Planning A Trip Now?
Goats On The Road provides some simple tools to save you time and money!
Disclaimer: Any bookings, orders or services paid for through Goats On The Road will be of ABSOLUTELY NO EXTRA CHARGE to our readers. Your purchase does help to keep the Goats On The Road through affiliate sales, so we do thank you for that!
Like it? Pin it! 🙂