Ah, Berlin. Lately it seems that this trendy city is the hot topic among travellers. Everything we read online is Berlin-this and Berlin-that. We’ve also met many people on our travels who are from Germany and have also said we have to go to this funky city! So, we did some looking around and came up with our own reasons why we want to travel to Germany’s capital city.
1. The Street Art. Ok, so we’ve all seen graffiti scattered over dark alleyways and back streets, but not until you’ve come to Berlin have you really seen street art at its finest! Everyone we’ve met has said it’s the best in the world and every article we’ve read or photos we’ve looked at on the internet definitely make us want to see the colourful animations in real life. The artists who paint these are truly talented. For more on Berlin’s street art scene, click here!
2. The Berlin Wall. This iconic wall is somewhere that we both definitely want to see. It’s hard to believe that West Berlin was cut off from East Berlin and from the rest of Eastern Germany. The fact that the wall remained for 28 years is even more unbelievable. Even though there is only a small part remaining, we still want to go and have a look.
3. The Hipster Neighbourhoods. We’ve heard that the areas of Kreuzberg – Friedrichshain are the places to be! There is lots of graffiti in this area as well as many other artists and musicians. A large population of Turkish people live in this area, which means delicious food, and there is more of a bohemian feel here. When we decide where to stay, we’ll book on Venere, they’ve got a huge list of hostels and guesthouses available in every area of Berlin.
4. Eat Currywurst. We’ve heard of bratwurst, but never currywurst! Apparently everyone from students to partiers to businessmen eat them and it’s sort of like a culinary institution. We’re looking forward to stuffing our faces with slices of pork sausage smothered in ketchup and curry powder, and dabbing up the mess with a fresh bread roll.
5. Go For A Picnic. If there’s one thing we a city must have, it’s parks. Berlin is teaming with natural green space. Huge parks can be found all over the city and are the perfect way to spend the day. We could have a picnic, fly a kite, watch street performers or just walk around. There are so many to choose from, we’ll just pack a picnic lunch and set off to find our own piece of quiet in this bustling city.
There you have it. Our top 5 reasons we want to travel to Berlin, Germany. This list could have gone on and on, we didn’t even discuss any of the monuments, the nightclubs, the restaurants, the music scene or the beer! Once we get to Berlin, I’m sure we’ll find many more things we want to divulge in.
Have you ever been to Berlin? What do you suggest we see? Leave a comment below!